Preparing for Surgery
Thank you for selecting Suburban Hospital for your upcoming surgery. Our goal is to make your surgical experience as smooth and as comfortable as possible. To help you and your family prepare for the procedure, please review the following important information.
Your surgeon's office will confirm your surgery date and time with Suburban Hospital and will provide you with that information so you can pre-register in one of two ways:
- On-Line. You can pre-register online by clicking here.
- By Phone. You will receive a call from the Pre-Registration department. Please be prepared to provide the following information:
- Your full name (exactly as it appears on your driver's license and/or government issued ID)
- Telephone numbers
- Next of Kin information
- Insurance information
- Name and telephone number of your primary care physician
Please also let us know if you are deaf and require a sign language interpreter so we can arrange services for you.
If you need to contact the Pre-Registration Department please call 301 896-2222.
- A complete history and physical exam is required within 30 days of your scheduled surgery date.
- If you are 60 years of age or older, you must have an EKG performed within 90 days of your scheduled surgery date.
- Chest x-rays and lab tests are not required unless specifically ordered by your surgeon, or are medically indicated.
- Please schedule an appointment within 14 days of your surgery with your primary care doctor for your pre-surgical testing and be certain to have all test results faxed to our Pre-Surgical Testing Center at 301-896-7345 as soon as possible.
- Suburban Hospital has a Pre-Surgical Testing Center where all pre-operative testing and preparation for surgery can be completed. To arrange an appointment call our Scheduling and Registration staff at 301-896-2222. Appointments are available Monday through Friday.
- If your surgeon has ordered that you be “typed and screened” or “typed and cross-matched” for blood products, this test can only be done at Suburban Hospital.
- If you do not visit our Pre-Surgical Testing Center, a nurse from the Pre-Surgical Testing Center will call you within two days of your surgery to review your medical history, list of home medications, provide additional instruction, and answer any questions.
- If you need to contact the Pre-Surgical Testing Center directly, call 301-896-2019.
Prior to Procedure
- Inform your surgeon of any medications you are currently taking.
- Contact your surgeon if there is any change in your health.
- Pre-fill any new prescriptions your surgeon has prescribed.
- Shower the evening before your procedure using an anti-bacterial soap such as Hibiclens or Dial.
- Follow specific preparation instructions from your surgeon.
Eating and Drinking
- Eating: Nothing to eat after midnight.
- Drinking: You may drink clear liquids only up to 6 hours before your scheduled procedure time: The following clear liquids are permitted water, apple juice, ginger ale, black coffee, and tea.
- Nothing to drink 6 hours before scheduled procedure time.
Prior to Arriving
- If not done the evening before, shower using an anti-bacterial soap such as Hibiclens or Dial.
- Brushing your teeth is permissible. Avoid swallowing water.
- Do not apply make-up, cologne, body lotions, or powders.
- Remove all jewelry including body piercings and wedding rings.
- Remove wigs and hair accessories.
- Wear comfortable loose-fitting clothes and comfortable shoes.
- Contact lenses may not be worn during your procedure. Bring eye glasses and eyeglass case. If eye glasses are not available bring a case and solution for your contacts lenses.
- Wear hearing aids. Bring case for hearing aids.
- You may wear dentures but be prepared to remove them before your procedure.
- Leave all valuables at home.
- Leave all medications at home; however bring list of medications if necessary.
- Bring; Radiology films and discs.
- Bring your CPAP machine.
- Bring a copy of your completed Advance Directives or Medical Orders for Life Sustaining Treatment (MOLST), if you choose.
- Bring Drivers License and Insurance Card.
- Bring only necessary payment options for parking and hospital charges.
- Arrive at instructed time. Allow time for traffic and parking.
- If delayed, contact the Pre-Operative Holding Unit at 301 896-3090.
- After your procedure, for your safety, you will not be allowed to drive because you will have received anesthesia.
- You must pre-arrange a ride home with a responsible driver 18 years of age or older.
- We request that the person who is taking you home stay in the hospital during your procedure to be available at the time of discharge.
- You may not take a taxicab or bus home unless you have a responsible adult to accompany you.
- If you are being admitted to the hospital after surgery, pack lightly and leave your suitcase in your car until your room has been assigned.
Before your surgery, Suburban Hospital's Financial Counseling department will work with your surgeon's office to verify your benefits and get any authorizations needed by your insurance plan. Be sure to give us complete insurance information for all insurance plans — including Medicare and Medicaid — so we can properly bill. If you do not give us complete information at the time of service, you or the guarantor is responsible for the bill. Charges not covered by insurance are the responsibility of the patient/guarantor or his/her representative. Suburban Hospital will bill directly to your health insurance carrier. We will send you a notice that we filed your claim and will send a copy of your summary of hospital charges.
Billing for Other Professional Services
In addition to your bill from Suburban Hospital, you may also receive separate bills for services provided by physicians and other health care professionals. These may include:
|First Colony Anesthesia Associates
| EKG Interpreters
Helpful Phone Numbers
|Surgical Waiting Room
|Scheduling and Registration
||(Pre-Registration and Pre-Surgical Testing Appointments)