Nutrition and Cancer - Dietary Guidelines For Americans
The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) and the US Department of Health and Human Services have prepared the food pyramid to guide you in selecting foods. The food guide pyramid is a guideline to help you eat a healthy diet.
To find more information about the Dietary Guidelines for Americans 2005 and to determine the appropriate dietary recommendations for your age, sex, and physical activity level, visit the Online Resources page for the links to the Food Pyramid and 2005 Dietary Guidelines sites. Please note that the Food Pyramid is designed for persons over the age of two who do not have chronic health conditions.
Suggestions for a healthy diet include the following:
Aim…Build…Choose…for Good Health
- Aim for fitness.
- Aim for a healthy weight.
- Be physically active each day.
- Build a healthy base.
- Let the food pyramid guide your food choices.
- Choose a variety of grains daily, especially whole grains.
- Choose a variety of fruits and vegetables daily.
- Keep food safe to eat.
- Choose sensibly.
- Choose a diet that is low in saturated fat and cholesterol and moderate in total fat.
- Choose low calorie beverages and foods to moderate your intake of sugars.
- Choose and prepare foods with less salt.
- If you drink alcoholic beverages, do so in moderation (one to two drinks a day).
By allowing the Food Guide Pyramid and the Dietary Guidelines for Americans to be your guides for meal planning should put you on the right track toward a healthy, cancer-preventing diet.
The best way to prevent cancer with your diet is to eat a lot of fruits, vegetables, and high-fiber grains every day. Also, substitute cold-water fish in place of red meat or chicken a few times a week at the dinner table. By eating moderate portions of meats and cheeses and small amounts of fat and sweets, you can save room for larger portions of fruits and vegetables. This strategy is good for your heart and may reduce your chances of developing certain cancers.
Click here to view the
Online Resources of Cancer Center