- The Ethics Committee is available in cases involving individuals with life-threatening conditions.
- Requests can be made by a:
- Patient/Attorney/Guardian/Family member
- Physician/Registered Nurse
- Social Worker
- Board consists of:
- Physician*, Registered Nurse*, Social Worker, Hospital Administrator (*not involved in case)
- Board consults (when appropriate)
- Patient's Treatment Team
- The committee is advisory in nature, unless there is a disagreement on the course of treatment between individuals with equal decision-making responsibility.
- "After consideration of the issue causing the disagreement, the Committee shall make a recommendation and the patient's physician may act in accordance with the recommendation or transfer the patient to another health-care provider. Pending the transfer, the physician shall comply with the instructions of the surrogate, if the failure to comply would likely result in the death of the patient."
- The procedure for convening the committee on an ad hoc basis is handled by Outcomes Management at